Special Olympics Colorado would not exist today and could not have been created without the time, energy, and dedication of thousands of volunteers.
More than 10,000 volunteers dedicate their time to help children and adults with intellectual disabilities achieve their dreams. Our volunteers include students, senior citizens, business groups, professional individuals, civic organizations, families, and coaches to name a few.
We have many Volunteer Opportunities and there is no experience required!
Are you interested in becoming a Coach or Team Volunteer? Learn more HERE.
Fans in the Stands!
Fans in the Stands is a program designed to promote unity and encourage students, friends, and families to get groups together to make posters, banners or organize pep rally’s for Special Olympics athletes in their schools and communities.
Not every athlete has friends or a family cheering them on during competitions, so imagine the feeling they get when there is suddenly a crowd of supporters behind them. By simply making signs, bringing noisemakers, clapping, whistling, and making up chants, athletes will have the feeling of home-field advantage.
Check our calendar here to pick an event to cheer on SOCO athletes. We look forward to seeing you in the Stands!
Contact: Georgia David, Volunteer, Family Services and Athlete Leadership Manager, Georgia@SpecialOlympicsco.org or 720-359-3130.
Upcoming 2019 Volunteer Opportunities:
- April 28 – Northeast Region Aquatics
- May 4 – Southeast Region Spring Classic
- May 5 – Western Region Track Meet
- May 11 – Denver Region Track Meet
- May 14 – Mesa County School District Track Meet
- May 18 – Denver Region Soccer Tournament
- June 7-9 – State Summer Games presented by Spectrum
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
Lifeguards & Unified Partners for Swimming: Lifeguards Needed to help with Aurora Swim Practices at Rangeview High School on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30-8:30 pm starting March 11th and going to June 5th. You do not have to commit to every week, or every Monday and Wednesday; just help out when you can! Email Jordan Ficke for more information!
Age Eligibility for Event Volunteers:
- 16 years and older can volunteer by themselves.
- 8-15 year olds must be accompanied by parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- 7 years and younger are not given volunteer assignments, but are welcomed and encouraged to be cheerleaders as long as they are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or chaperone. Please do not ‘purchase’ a ticket for this position.
- 8-15 year olds in a group situation need a 3 to 1 ratio-meaning one adult (18 years old or older) for every three children. These groups usually include scout troops, school classes, church groups, etc.
Volunteer As A Group!