Special Olympics Colorado would not exist today and could not have been created without the time, energy, and dedication of thousands of volunteers.
More than 10,000 volunteers dedicate their time to help children and adults with intellectual disabilities achieve their dreams. Our volunteers include students, senior citizens, business groups, professional individuals, civic organizations, families, and coaches to name a few.
We have many Volunteer Opportunities and there is no experience required!
Are you interested in becoming a Coach or Team Volunteer? Learn more HERE.
Fans in the Stands!
Fans in the Stands is a program designed to promote unity and encourage students, friends, and families to get groups together to make posters, banners or organize pep rally’s for Special Olympics athletes in their schools and communities.
Not every athlete has friends or a family cheering them on during competitions, so imagine the feeling they get when there is suddenly a crowd of supporters behind them. By simply making signs, bringing noisemakers, clapping, whistling, and making up chants, athletes will have the feeling of home-field advantage.
Check our calendar here to pick an event to cheer on SOCO athletes. We look forward to seeing you in the Stands!
Contact: Georgia David, Volunteer, Family Services and Athlete Leadership Manager, Georgia@SpecialOlympicsco.org or 720-359-3130.
Upcoming 2019 Volunteer Opportunities:
- February 8 – Western & Southeast Regional Winter Games
- February 11 – Front Range Winter Games
- February 15 – Denver Regional Basketball – Unified Schools
- February 16 – Western Regional Basketball
- February 17 – Denver Regional Basketball – Community Teams
- February 23 – Aurora Polar Plunge presented by Westerra Credit Union
- February 24 – Southeast Regional Basketball
- March 1-3 – State Winter Games presented by United Airlines
- March 2 – Healthy Athletes Screenings at State Winter Games
- March 10 – Denver Polar Plunge presented by Westerra Credit Union
- March 15-17 – State Basketball Tournament
- March 16 – Boulder Polar Plunge presented by Westerra Credit Union
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
Athlete Leadership Programs Mentors: Are you interested in leadership and want to mentor athletes at our first Athlete Leadership Programs University? You can find out more info HERE and apply HERE. Reach out to Georgia David for more information.
Age Eligibility for Event Volunteers:
- 16 years and older can volunteer by themselves.
- 8-15 year olds must be accompanied by parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- 7 years and younger are not given volunteer assignments, but are welcomed and encouraged to be cheerleaders as long as they are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or chaperone. Please do not ‘purchase’ a ticket for this position.
- 8-15 year olds in a group situation need a 3 to 1 ratio-meaning one adult (18 years old or older) for every three children. These groups usually include scout troops, school classes, church groups, etc.
Volunteer As A Group!