Thank you for your interest in becoming a Special Olympics Coach!
The purpose of the Special Olympics Colorado Coach Certification Program is to ensure that each coach has the knowledge and tools to train athletes according to sport, safety and Special Olympics guidelines.
Coaching Levels and Age Requirements:
Level I (Assistant Coach – 16 years and older)
Level II (Head Coach – 18 years and older)
Level III (Head Coach – 18 years and older)
(Click on each level above to learn more about the requirements.)
Regardless of level, all coaches must:
1. Reach out to your Regional Manager (based on your location) to let them know you are interested.
2. Complete the Class A Volunteer Application online, or submit the print version to ClassA@SpecialOlympicsCO.org.
3. Complete the online Protective Behaviors Quiz.
4. Pass a Background and Motor Vehicle Check
When you receive a link from us to complete a Background Check, please complete the form and pay the $16 application fee (occurs once every three years).
Questions? Contact your Regional Manager or the Volunteer Manager, Claire Viater.
RECERTIFICATION: Certifications are good for three years. To recertify as a Level II or Level III Coach, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the Class A Volunteer Application (online or print version) and approved background check
- Take the Protective Behaviors Quiz
- Principles of Coaching Study Guide
- Principles of Coaching Quiz
- Level III Coaches: must also update on First Aid and CPR as required through your certification
Once you complete the process, please return the Application for Recertification to Special Olympics Colorado.
Click here for the Concussion Training/Quiz