Special Olympics Colorado would not exist today and could not have been created without the time, energy, and dedication of thousands of volunteers.
More than 10,000 volunteers dedicate their time to help children and adults with intellectual disabilities achieve their dreams. Our volunteers include students, senior citizens, business groups, professional individuals, civic organizations, families, and coaches to name a few.
We have many Volunteer Opportunities and there is no experience required!
Fans in the Stands!
Fans in the Stands is a program designed to promote unity and encourage students, friends, and families to get groups together to make posters, banners or organize pep rally’s for Special Olympics athletes in their schools and communities.
Not every athlete has friends or a family cheering them on during competitions, so imagine the feeling they get when there is suddenly a crowd of supporters behind them. By simply making signs, bringing noisemakers, clapping, whistling, and making up chants, athletes will have the feeling of home-field advantage.
Check our calendar here to pick an event to cheer on SOCO athletes. We look forward to seeing you in the Stands!
Contact: Georgia David, Volunteer, Family Services and Athlete Leadership Manager, Georgia@SpecialOlympicsco.org or 720-359-3130.
Upcoming 2019 Volunteer Opportunities:
- February 8 – Western & Southeast Regional Winter Games
- February 11 – Front Range Winter Games
- February 15 – Denver Regional Basketball – Unified Schools
- February 16 – Western Regional Basketball
- February 23 – Aurora Polar Plunge presented by Westerra Credit Union
- February 24 – Southeast Regional Basketball
- March 1-3 – State Winter Games
- March 2 – Healthy Athletes Screenings at State Winter Games
- March 15-17 – State Basketball Tournament
- March 16 – Boulder Polar Plunge presented by Westerra Credit Union
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
Unified Juniors Coaches Needed: Calling all youth coaches! Do you have a passion for or experience working with young kids? Our Unified Juniors Teams for children with and without disabilities, ages 4-12 are in need of coaches for basketball, soccer, track and field, softball and flag football. No sports specific skills needed! Email Seth Krebill for more information.
Swim Coaches Needed: If you are able to teach basic swimming techniques and have interest in being a swim coach, we need your help! The Denver Sharks are in need of coaches on Sundays at George Washington High School. Please email the Denver Sharks for more information and to get connected!
Basketball Unified Partners Needed: We are looking for high school range Unified Partners to partner with the Aurora Basketball Program in Winter 2019. If you have interest, please reach out to Mary Stratton.
Age Eligibility for Event Volunteers:
- 16 years and older can volunteer by themselves.
- 8-15 year olds must be accompanied by parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- 7 years and younger are not given volunteer assignments, but are welcomed and encouraged to be cheerleaders as long as they are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or chaperone. Please do not ‘purchase’ a ticket for this position.
- 8-15 year olds in a group situation need a 3 to 1 ratio-meaning one adult (18 years old or older) for every three children. These groups usually include scout troops, school classes, church groups, etc.
Volunteer As A Group!