Special Olympics Colorado would not exist today and could not have been created without the time, energy, and dedication of thousands of volunteers.
More than 10,000 volunteers annually dedicate their time to help children and adults with intellectual disabilities achieve their dreams. Our volunteers include students, senior citizens, business groups, professional individuals, civic organizations, families, and coaches to name a few.
We have many Volunteer Opportunities and there is no experience required!
Are you interested in becoming a Coach or Team Volunteer? Learn more HERE.
Fans in the Stands!
Fans in the Stands is a program designed to promote unity and encourage students, friends, and families to get groups together to make posters, banners or organize pep rally’s for Special Olympics athletes in their schools and communities.
Not every athlete has friends or a family cheering them on during competitions, so imagine the feeling they get when there is suddenly a crowd of supporters behind them. By simply making signs, bringing noisemakers, clapping, whistling, and making up chants, athletes will have the feeling of home-field advantage.
Check our calendar here to pick an event to cheer on SOCO athletes. We look forward to seeing you in the Stands!
Contact: Georgia David, Volunteer, Family Services and Athlete Leadership Manager, Georgia@SpecialOlympicsco.org or 720-359-3130.
Upcoming 2019 Volunteer Opportunities:
- July 8-11 – Young Athletes Camp (Denver Metro area)
- July 13 – SE Summer Classic (Colorado Springs)
- July 27 – Denver Region Summer Classic (Denver Metro area)
- August 17 – Plane Pull presented by SUBWAY (Denver Metro area)
- August 24-25 – State Summer Classic (Colorado Springs)
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
Young Professionals Board: Interested in joining the Young Professionals Board during the open enrollment from May 15 – June 15, 2019? Click here to provide us with your information and we will be in touch!
Young Athlete Play Captains and T-Ball Coaches Needed: Interested in working with SOCO Young Athletes (ages 2-7) this summer? Click HERE to find out more about being a Play Captain and click HERE to register. Questions? Contact Mandi DeWitt.
Age Eligibility for Event Volunteers:
- 16 years and older can volunteer by themselves.
- 8-15 year olds must be accompanied by parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- 7 years and younger are not given volunteer assignments, but are welcomed and encouraged to be cheerleaders as long as they are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or chaperone. Please do not ‘purchase’ a ticket for this position.
- 8-15 year olds in a group situation need a 3 to 1 ratio-meaning one adult (18 years old or older) for every three children. These groups usually include scout troops, school classes, church groups, etc.
Volunteer As A Group!